Thursday, February 20, 2014

Please Come Home For Christmas

Is this a late posting -- or very early? I heard that Elvis recorded a Christmas album in July... The original Charles Brown version of Please Come Home For Christmas remains my favorite. Normally I invoke a personal rule as an artist that I don't do any exact copies -- if it's a ballad try it up, if a sax feature try it on flute, etc. -- but some tunes are so definitive I wouldn't change a note. Many of Charles Brown's recordings depend on his unique vocal quality, but the Zen-like straight-forwardness of this arrangement is so cool, and the sentiment so well-expressed I'd be tempted to sing this one. Hit the pitches, don't call attention to the vocal, and credit the author! Take a listen here -- and maybe just roll with Charles Brown for a little while!

No comments: